FIRST MEETING OF THE COORDINATION GROUP ON A REGIONAL INFORMATION SPACE FOR WATER AND ENVIRONMENT IN CENTRAL ASIA
The first meeting of the Coordination Group on a Regional Information Space for Water and Environment in Central Asia initiated by UNECE was held on 1-2 September 2015 in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
Representatives of regional institutions, such as EC IFAS, SIC ICWC, SIC ICSD, BWO Amu Darya, BWO Syr Darya, Regional Hydrological Center, CAREC, Regional Mountain Centre for Central Asia, CDC “Energy”, ICWC Secretariat, ICSD Secretariat, as well as a number of key donors participated in this meeting.
The mission of the Coordination Group is to create conditions for governance and coordination of activities of all stakeholders on the development of the regional information space for water and environment in Central Asia. It is expected that such regional space is to provide comprehensive body of open and easily interpretable information and will be used by the Governments of Central Asia and the International Fund for Saving the Aral Sea and its organizations as a decision support tool. The public, academia, educational institutions and civil society should also have access to this information space.
The meeting was organized in form of 8 sessions:
- Setting the scene
- Achievements and problems in data production, analysis and information exchange
- Principles, common criteria and structure of the information space
- Better decision support based on reliable, agreed upon information
- Scope of information
- Geographical coverage and sources of information
- Legal basis and financing
- Transparency, access by academia, universities and the civil society