REGULAR 81st MEETING OF THE INTERSTATE COMMISSION FOR WATER COORDINATION
The 81st meeting of the Interstate Commission for Water Coordination (ICWC) of Central Asia was organized by Uzbekistan in the online format and held on 7 December 2021.
The ICWC members, including Mr. S. Kozhaniyazov from Kazakhstan, Mr. J. Shoimzoda from Tajikistan, and Mr. G. Baijanov from Turkmenistan participated in the meeting chaired by the ICWC member from Uzbekistan, Minister of Water Management Mr. Sh. Khamraev. The heads of ICWC executive bodies also took part in the meeting: M. Makhramov (BWO Amu Darya); O. Kholkhujaev (BWO Syr Darya); D. Ziganshina (SIC ICWC); U. Nazarov (Secretariat), including the invited persons.
The meeting’s agenda included the following:
1) Results of the use of water withdrawal limits and operation of the reservoir cascades in the Syr Darya and Amu Darya River basins during the growing season 2021.
2) Approval of the country water withdrawal limits and operation regimes of the reservoir cascades in the Syr Darya and Amu Darya River basins for the non-growing season 2021-2022.
3) Follow up on proposals and initiatives voiced at the Summit of the Heads of IFAS founder-states in the city of Turkmenbashi.
4) Negotiating on sanitary releases along river courses in the Syr Darya River Basin (proposal of Kazakhstan).
5) Additional matter: organization of events on the occasion of the ICWC 30th anniversary in 2022 (proposal of SIC ICWC).
6) Agenda and venue of the regular 82nd ICWC meeting.
On the first item, BWO Amu Darya and BWO Syr Darya reported on fulfillment of water withdrawal limits and operation of reservoir cascades in the Syr Darya and Amu Darya River basins during the growing season 2021.
On the second item, the heads of BWOs made proposals for the limits of country water withdrawals and the operation regimes of reservoir cascades in Amu Darya and Syr Darya basins for the non-growing season 2021-2022.
On the third item, Acting Director of SIC ICWC D. Ziganshina reported on work done by SIC ICWC as a follow-up to proposals and initiatives put forward in Turkmenbashi at the Summit of the Heads of IFAS founder-states.
On the fourth item, the member of ICWC from Kazakhstan S. Kozhaniyazov proposed to negotiate on sanitary releases along river courses in the Syr Darya River Basin.
On the additional matter, D. Ziganshina presented a concept of jubilee events dedicated to the ICWC 30th anniversary.
Following the discussion, the parties made relevant decisions on all the items.
The next ICWC meeting is to be held in Kazakhstan.