REGULAR 82nd MEETING OF THE INTERSTATE COMMISSION FOR WATER COORDINATION OF CENTRAL ASIA
The 82nd meeting of the Interstate Commission for Water Coordination (ICWC) of Central Asia was held on the 27th of April 2022 and coincided with celebrations of the 30th anniversary of the Commission.
The ICWC members, including Mr. J. Shoimzoda from Tajikistan, Mr. G. Baijanov from Turkmenistan, Mr. Sh. Khamraev from Uzbekistan participated in the meeting chaired by the ICWC member from Kazakhstan, Vice-Minister of Ecology, Geology and Natural Resources Mr. S. Kozhaniyazov. The heads of ICWC executive bodies also took part in the meeting: M. Makhramov (BWO Amu Darya); O. Kholkhujaev (BWO Syr Darya); D. Ziganshina (SIC ICWC); U. Nazarov (Secretariat) and other invited persons.
The meeting’s agenda included the following:
1) Results of the use of water withdrawal limits and operation of the reservoir cascades in the Syr Darya and Amu Darya River basins during the non-growing season 2021-2022.
2) Approval of the country water withdrawal limits and operation regimes of the reservoir cascades in the Syr Darya and Amu Darya River basins for the growing season 2022.
3) Follow up on proposals and initiatives voiced at the Summit of the Heads of IFAS founder-states in the city of Turkmenbashi.
4) Appointment of Director of SIC ICWC.
5) Awarding the title “Honorary member of ICWC”
6) Agenda and venue of the regular 83rd ICWC meeting.
On the first item, BWO Amu Darya and BWO Syr Darya reported on fulfillment of water withdrawal limits and operation of reservoir cascades in the Syr Darya and Amu Darya River basins during the non-growing season 2021-2022.
On the second item, the heads of BWOs made proposals for the limits of country water withdrawals and the operation regimes of reservoir cascades in Amu Darya and Syr Darya basins for the growing season 2022.
On the third item, Acting Director of SIC ICWC D. Ziganshina reported on work done by SIC ICWC as a follow-up to proposals and initiatives put forward in Turkmenbashi at the Summit of the Heads of IFAS founder-states.
By the decision of the Commission, Dinara Ziganshina was appointed as Director of SIC ICWC.
On the fifth item, the title “Honorary member of ICWC” was awarded to Ye. Nysanbaev (Kazakhstan), R. Bobokalonov (Tajikistan), G. Baijanov (Turkmenistan), and R. Giniyatullin (Uzbekistan).
Following the discussion, the parties made relevant decisions on all the items.
The next ICWC meeting is to be held in Turkmenistan.