REGULAR 83RD MEETING OF THE INTERSTATE COMMISSION FOR WATER COORDINATION OF CENTRAL ASIA
The 83rd meeting of the Interstate Commission for Water Coordination (ICWC) of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Republic of Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Republic of Uzbekistan was held on the 22nd of November 2022. The meeting was organized by the Turkmen side.
The ICWC members, including Mr. S. Mukataev from Kazakhstan, Mr. J. Shoimzoda from Tajikistan, Mr. Sh. Khamraev from Uzbekistan participated in the meeting chaired by the ICWC member from Turkmenistan, Mr. D. Gendjiyev. The heads of ICWC executive bodies also took part in the meeting: M. Makhramov (BWO Amu Darya); O. Kholkhujaev (BWO Syr Darya); D. Ziganshina (SIC ICWC); U. Nazarov (Secretariat) and other invited persons.
Members of the IFAS Executive Board – Deputy Chairman of the Cabinet of Ministers of Turkmenistan, A. Yazmyradov, Deputy Prime Minister of Tajikistan, S.Ziyoda, Deputy Prime Minister of the Republic of Uzbekistan, Sh. Ganiev addressed the meeting with welcoming remarks.
The meeting’s agenda included the following:
1. Results of the use of water withdrawal limits and operation of the reservoir cascades in the Syr Darya and Amu Darya River basins during the growing season 2022.
2. Approval of the country water withdrawal limits and forecast operation regimes of the reservoir cascades in the Syr Darya and Amu Darya River basins for the non-growing season 2022-2023.
3. Progress on proposals and initiatives voiced at the Summit of the Heads of IFAS founder-states in the city of Turkmenbashi.
4. Agenda and venue of the regular 84th ICWC meeting.
5. Matter related to application of modern water accounting and monitoring equipment in the Amu Darya River basin.
On the first item, BWO Amu Darya and BWO Syr Darya reported on fulfillment of water withdrawal limits and operation of reservoir cascades in the Syr Darya and Amu Darya River basins during the growing season 2022.
On the second item, the heads of BWO Amu Darya and BWO Syr Darya made proposals for the limits of country water withdrawals and forecast operation regimes of reservoir cascades in Amu Darya and Syr Darya basins for the non-growing season 2022-2023.
On the third item, D. Ziganshina, Director of SIC ICWC reported on work carried out by SIC ICWC in the follow up of the proposals and initiatives put forward at the Summit of the Heads of IFAS founder-states in Turkmenbashi.
Following the discussion, the parties made relevant decisions on all the items.